a girl and her camera

my photography has been an outward manifestation of an inward journey. the journey to be seen fresh and anew as the rising sun of each day. glowing in brilliance, with the past behind me, and the excitement of a future unknown. we all long to be seen through the lens of another that won’t judge us, but accept us for the vision and beauty that we possess, right here, right now. with every image, we carry the power to make the ordinary extraordinary, and breathe new life into that which otherwise may be overlooked.


i thank God for the unique opportunity to change the world around me by showing you the world that i see. my vision is an instrument of change, memorializing the precious details in life for all times. just like every image has angles that abound, each different from the rest, so too do people have many sides to them, unique in their own right. may all of our eyes be open enough to also see their beauty.


Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mission to Haiti 2008

I recently returned from Port-a-Prince, Haiti, on a missions trip with a great group from Florida. (How this photography opportunity transpired for me was nothing short of heaven-sent). The primary focus of the trip was to bring and distribute food, clothing and medical attention/supplies to some of the outlying villages, orphanages and local churches.














As I sat on the floor of the airport early Sunday morning, awaiting my flight back home, I wrote this:

“Yes, I saw pain, I saw hunger, I saw despair, but I also saw joy and contentment. Abandoned were my thoughts of westernizing these people, felling sorry for them because the did not have my “rich” life. I remember feeling that way when I went to Africa. But you don’t long for something you’ve never known, so why feel sorry for someone for the same. No, rather I saw how we were alike. Laughing at a little baby gulping down coke, or laughing as the children posed for a picture with a thumbs up sign. There will always be poor, and those who are rich should always help – but sorry is not something I felt this time around. I’m blessed for what I have and utterly grateful for the chance to sow a seed of love and be a part of God’s great commission. I’m sure other countries feel sorry for us – the state of our country. Our economic frustration and moral decline. To feel sorry means you think someone should have what you have. I don’t think that about the Haitian people. I don’t think they should kill each other for shoes, I don’t think they should steal from each other, I don’t think they should compare themselves nor define themselves by what clothes they have . . . no. I don’t feel sorry for them. I saw old men picking up and holding the children of the community. I saw a little boy pull his friend underneath a gate to lead him to some new toys. I saw a little girl share one of her lollipops with another child. I heard “merci madam” when I gave a mother’s baby something to drink – I saw a community. No doubt they are impoverished and I have no right or room to say they don’t’ need help – but pity, no. They have a contentment that is unmatched. I thank God for the chance to be the extension of His love to the poor – and I was blessed . . . .”


To view more images, please click on the "Journeys" link to the left under My Portfolios, or click here: Haiti 2008. Also, enjoy a Haiti Slideshow as well!!!

No comments: