a girl and her camera

my photography has been an outward manifestation of an inward journey. the journey to be seen fresh and anew as the rising sun of each day. glowing in brilliance, with the past behind me, and the excitement of a future unknown. we all long to be seen through the lens of another that won’t judge us, but accept us for the vision and beauty that we possess, right here, right now. with every image, we carry the power to make the ordinary extraordinary, and breathe new life into that which otherwise may be overlooked.


i thank God for the unique opportunity to change the world around me by showing you the world that i see. my vision is an instrument of change, memorializing the precious details in life for all times. just like every image has angles that abound, each different from the rest, so too do people have many sides to them, unique in their own right. may all of our eyes be open enough to also see their beauty.


Sunday, December 7, 2008

COCA's - Celebrate Me Home

I had the amazing privilege to recently shoot Celebrate Me Home - COCA's Fall Fundraiser. As detailed from COCA's website (www.cocastl.org), this was an evening of song and dance featuring celebrated St. Louisans Antonio Douthit and Denise Thimes. Douthit, a COCA alum, returned to St. Louis and performed with other members of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater where he was the principal dancer. You can read more about him here. The proceeds benefited COCA’s Urban Arts and Scholarship Programs.

I was beyond amazed at the incredible talent and strength of these dancers - their bodies were like works of art and their poise and elegance was phenomenal. They kept the crowd in a state of awe for the entire performance. I was also able to see some of the up and coming talent of the students that currently train at COCA. All I can say is I left out of there singing "Celebrate Me Home" and trying to do split leaps all the way down the hall. I was moved! Check out the song here - I warn you it will be in your head a while.
Celebrate Me Home - Ruben Studdard

I must say that this was my most challenging photo shoot to date - dark theater, not permitted to use flash and constant movement. I truly enjoyed the experience. I made a fun little preview of some of the images. Enjoy!

Leslie

No comments: